From:
Silver City Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:37:05 -0600
A question and a comment on two of yesterday's messages:  No, I didn't know
that "Ketchup" was a company trade name for a very old recipe with several
interesting name spellings (not to mention unusual ingredients), in the 19th
century.  Who copyrighted the name, and when did they do so?  My french
fries won't be the same until I know.

As for dealing with Hollywood movie misinformation in museums, our approach
was to buy movie stills and publicity photographs from a shop in Hollywood,
and actually use them in our exhibits.  They were the bad examples, and we
used similar artifacts of the correct sort with the stills to demonstrate
the differences.  Visitors could see for themselves how "artistic license"
altered the images they had accepted of certain periods and objects in
history -- that covered by most Western films being generally the worst --
and a few labels pointed out other problems from well-known movies.  It
worked nicely for my exhibits, and I have used the same sort of information
in talks for the public as well.

Robin Gilliam
Curator of History and Interpretation