From:
John Handley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 16:20:24 EST
    The Issue of Labels:

    I've thought about this one for a day or so.  In this particular
    case--a children's museum, the age level may actually be targeted
    to non-readers (3-5). I have visited many children's museums and,
    I must admit, have often walked away scratching my head
    wondering what the difference is between the children's
    musuem and the play room.  An exception is the children's museum
    in Santa Fe, which is very intercative and uses labels. If you
    haven't been there, I hope you get the chance one day.  But what
    this topic calls to mind for me is also the difference I often
    perceive between how art exhibits and history exhibits are treated
    (using labels).

    For example, I have visited many art installations where there
    were no labels used at all (because this would interfere with the
    visitors own perceptions and conclusions) and also
    art exhibitions where the labels are either ceiling
    high on scholarship, or out there in space and offer (me anyway!)
    no launching pad at all.  I see very little down to earth useful
    labels in art museums --albeit, this is changing.  Art is, in most
    cases, presented with no justification.

    However, I also often see many historical or object focused
    exhibits where the labels focus only on casting the various
    artifacts (whether works of art or objects) soley in the direct
    historical or cultural context.  The use of labels here tends to
    stay away form artistic or aesethetic interpretation, as if the
    object on display requires justification for being presented on a
    historical level only.  I understand this difference in approach
    to some degree (cultural context is important), but I also get
    weary of justifying the use of well rounded object labels in
    exhibitions, while art exhibitions seem to escape this scrutiny on
    a regular basis.

    My main point is that people learn in at least 4 different
    variations (and probably more).  This range includes those who
    need labels to those who need a visual context.  Additionally,
    people visit museums because it is a social event, they enjoy
    looking at beautiful objects, they enjoy being mentally
    challenged, and some even visit to learn.  Especially in the
    latter, I'm not comfortable deciding how people should learn--and
    am always happy to see the use of well written labels, audio
    tours, docents, and multi-media screens, etc. all available--it
    simply fosters a broader approach to muse.

    John Handley
    San Francisco