From:
Mandy Langfald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 08:30:05 -0600
Dayna,

Many time potential employers will make a wish list of qualifications, so to speak. And what they ask for is not necessarily what they "really" expect to hire. Go ahead and apply for the position anyway all you will be out is 37 cents. Use your cover letter to convince them that while you may not have the years you do have the know how to do the job. And as one of my profs. said when I started applying for jobs, NEVER say no for an employer by not sending in your resume. Send it in and make them make that choice.

Good luck,

Mandy Langfald
Curator of Collection
Wyoming State Museum
307-777-3077

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/09/04 03:23AM >>>
Greetings,

I am a graduate student nearing the completion of my M.A. in museum studies.
  I have recently begun searching for entry level museum positions to which
I can apply.  During my search, I have noticed that nearly all positions,
even those I would consider to be entry level, require between 3-5 years
experience to apply.  During the course of my education I have gained some
experience via internships and volunteer work, but not the quantity for
which these positions ask.  I admit to being somewhat perplexed at the
conundrum presented here.  You must have significant experience to qualify
for the most basic of positions, and yet, how are you supposed to get
experience if you do not qualify for any positions from which you can gain
experience?  I would greatly appreciate any input or advice from more
experienced museum professionals.

Thank you for your time,
Dayna Minter