Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:27:29 PST
Lorinda: need a little more information in order to answer this one:

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997 05:06:41 GMT  Lorinda Gayle wrote:
>We are trying to come up with a policy
>regarding employee copies of slides
>showing collection objects and conservation
>treatments.

What kind of collection? And what kind of slides? Technical?
Publishable? Documentation only? Lecture slides?  Only slides, or also b/w and color transparencies?

>Previously, we had an unwritten
>understanding among the staff that no
>employee could make copies of museum
>slides for his/her portfolio

"portfolio" - as in artist's portfolio? or everyday work files?

 without
>permission of the appropriate department
>head.
>
>Unfortunately, we have a problem with an
>individual who copied great number of
>slides to which he/she was not entitled,
>and who made the copies clandestinely.

for what purpose?

>The slide files are not kept under lock
>and key.
>
>Does anyone out there have a formal policy
>regarding slide copies?  My thinking is
>that these images are the museum's property

they may be the museum's physical property, or the museum's physical AND intellectual property...

>and as such are subject to some kind of control.
>
>Any thoughts?  Thanks is advance!
>
>--
>        Lorinda ("Lori") Gayle
>            Cambridge, MA

name: amalyah keshet
director, visual resources / the israel museum, jerusalem
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
date: 01/23/97
visit our Web site at http://www.imj.org.il