From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:50:56 EDT
Dear Ross et al,

Well, I think many of us "mistrust" the museum leadership because many of
these administrators have absolutely no museum training or experience.  I
don't know the people at the Shedd so I'm speaking in generalizations and not
focusing on one museum in particular.  I'm also speaking from my 25 years of
experience......

I've seen too many museums run into the ground by people who are political
appointees who don't have the foggiest about our professional practices.
Unfortunately, these administrators also don't care to ask questions or even
ask the very capable people on their own staff.

As far as people staying away since September 11th, here in Atlanta people
are out and about.   Last weekend, our discount stores were packed and doing
great business.   Tonight, I joined friends at a popular restaurant and then
went to a movie.
Both venues were full of people.    We also went to a museum fundraiser for
my current client, a local art museum this past Saturday night.   It was well
attended.

So, get out there and market yourselves,  make your education programs
relevant,
get your media folks as partners,  and don't have unrealistic expectations.
You've got to have stable revenue streams either from an endowment or some
contracts with local government, the schools, etc., in order not to drown
from low attendance.  And don't forget your museum stores.   A museum here
where I used to serve on the board got 50 percent of its operating income
from its very unique and professionally run store.

End of rant.

pamela sezgin