From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 19:34:46 -0500
In a message dated 96-02-05 15:31:43 EST, [log in to unmask]
(Christopher Whittle) writes:

>Museums like the MCZ (abbreviated to protect the
>innocent) justify their substandard exhibits by claiming to be a research
>museum.  They put up the displays as an after thought, a token bone
>thrown to the public and then hide behind the moniker research museum
>when the public wants better/updated exhibits.

Interesting. In my experience, those who could put up better than substandard
exhibits wanted to, but were not given the funds. It is often hard to
seperate those that run the museums and those that can make things happen
(when allowed). Also, the existing exhibits are only substandard by today's
standards. When they were originally put up, cavemen still walked the halls
(without cavewomen by their sides :?) I am not sure I agree with you, if we
are talking about the same institution, but then I was once one of the people
who applied my research towards better/updated exhibits. The sad thing is
that the research is there, but there is no money to mount it as an exhibit,
so it just sits, unused or unappreciated.

- Adrienne