From:
Robert Aston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 18:40:13 -0700
Isn't it just a bit ironic that, the more tolerant we try to be, the more
intolerant we seem to become.  Let us, for just a moment, level the playing
field.  If I were to tell you how, and where, to spend your very own
personal savings, I doubt whether you would follow my advice, especially if
you disagreed with my opinion.

Many are willing to boycott, because they disagree with the opinion of a
particular corporation.  Don't you think that others are entitled to follow
the same action in turn, because they do not happen to agree with your view?

The Dial Corporation, apparantly did just that.  Although they support the
museum, they decided to withold funds from a particular exhibit, because
they disagreed with it's content.  In effect, they boycotted that exhibit -
something which, I feel, they were well within their right to do.  Just as
you are.

I may not necessarily agree with how they demonstrated their non-support,
but they did what they felt was the way to go.  They could have done any
number number of things, the least of which would have been to announce that
despite their support of the museum, they disagreed with the content of the
"Old Glory" exhibit.

We are all different.  Let us be different.  If we all thought alike, well,
that would be plain scary.  Because someone acts a certain way, based on
what they think and understand, be tolerant.  You can disagree, but don't
take it personally.  They are as different from you, as you are from them.
You are an entitled entity, just as they are.  Respect the differences.
When you come down to it, that's all we really have.

Robyn Aston