From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:20:37 +0100
On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Pamela Sezgin wrote:

++++++ [clip] ++++++

> Maybe it would be helpful if we discussed what we expect AAM to do about the
> salary issue.    They already publish a study that is updated from time to
> time listing salaries and museum budgets -- a national survey that is
> available from the AAM Bookstore.

================================

Precisely this issue has been raised more than once in previous years, and
my answer is the same:

The AAM could refuse to print adverts for jobs calling for qualified
and experienced museum professionals but then offering derisory salaries -
as the UK Museums Association does (and has done for over 25 years).

The current minimum acceptable for a UK Museums Journal advert calling
for the equivalent of a Master's in Museum Studies in the USA would be
around US$25,000 a year. This policy is fully supported by the the
governing body representatives from local authorities, national museum
and private trust museums who make up almost half the membership of the
MA's ruling Council.

Patrick Boylan