From:
"J. Trant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:21:56 -0500
Museums and the Web Benchmarking Survey
http://www.archimuse.com/research/mwbenchmarks/index.html

Each financial cycle museum Webmasters struggle to justify their
budget requests. Whenever statistical reports are circulated someone
asks, "How do we compare?" When exploring the benefits of a new
function, Web teams ask themselves "Is it worth the investment?"
Answers to these questions are hard to come by.

To help fill this void in our knowledge about museums' use of the
Web, Archives & Museum Informatics (the producers of the Museums and
the Web conference) are launching what we hope will be an regular
survey of Museums and the Web.

The Survey
=======

Museum Webmasters are asked to co-ordinate an institutional response
to this survey, which is divided into three sections.

A. Administrative Questions,  to be answered by someone with
knowledge of budgets and staffing

B. Design, Technical and Collections Questions, to be answered by
someone with a knowledge of technical infrastructure

C. Marketing, Membership and Education Questions, to be answered by
someone with a knowledge of e-commerce, and educational programs

To help with your preparation, a PDF version of the full survey is
available for download from
http://www.archimuse.com/research/mwbenchmarks/MW-Survey05.pdf

Please complete the survey on-line, at
http://www.archimuse.com/research/mwbenchmarks/index.html

The Results
=======
Institutions who complete the full survey will have access to
anonymized results. No data will be distributed or published that
identifies individuals or individual museums.

Survey responses will be assembled into benchmarks about museum Web
activity. Archives & Museum Informatics also expects to publish a
summary of the results.

Questions
======

Please send questions or comments about the survey to [log in to unmask]

Thanks in advance for your help in assembling data about our
collective Web-based activities.

Best,

jennifer

--