From:
Rebecca Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:13:28 -0400
When I came on board in January, I was told that our museum had not
"thanked" volunteers for a number of years. Like most museums, money is
tight. Our board felt the need to recognize volunteers, but couldn't decide
how to do it, and who qualified, etc. After yet another hand-wringing
session with our board, I came home frustrated. When I vented to my husband
(who is a wonderfully generous museum supporter, and a great husband), he
said, "Throw a party - I'll pay for it." From my old consulting days, I knew
that it's often the concepts of recognition and appreciation that
matter...much more than the actual event. I sent out postcard invitations to
a volunteer appreciation barbecue, and held the event at our home. I invited
anyone who had done anything! More than 50% of the invitees attended (+/- 75
people) and had a wonderful time. It was a simple chicken/burger barbecue
with sodas, wine and beer. Total cost came in at less than $300.00.

We told the volunteers that an anonymous donor had paid for the party - that
added an air of "mystery admirer" to the party. I also deliberately limited
"museum business" to introducing our board president and our newest
employees. In addition to appreciating our volunteers my ulterior motive was
to promote social interaction among the volunteers. The more "connected"
volunteers are with each other and the museum, the more they want to
volunteer.

So...I wouldn't stress to much about the event...it's much more important to
do something timely. By the way, I liked the stress ball idea, and the
trivia game. I'll probably steal those ideas for our next party! :-)

Becky Fitzgerald
Susquehanna Museum