From:
Erin Foley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:58:41 -0400
My boss has asked me to research what types of museums are charging for
loans of collection items, and what fees are being charged for loans, fees
separate from reimbursement for packing, shipping, and insurance.  I have
checked the listserv but seen no recent discussion of the topic.  Back in
2002, someone quoted a fee of approx. $100 per item as some sort of
standard.

I'm curious to know how much museums are charging, whether loan fees have
an effect on the number of loan requests, and whether the loan fees vary
based on the sorts of items being loaned.  We are a museum of circus
history, with a general collection that includes framed fine art as well
as folk art, wardrobe, tools, banners, along with much archival material.

Thank you for any help.

Sincerely,
Erin Foley

Erin Foley