From:
"Diane M. Zorich" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 16:11:00 PDT
The following announcement from the Benton Foundation outlines the probable
elimination of the National Telecommunications and Information
Adminstration and its hugely successful TIAAP program.  As you may know,
the TIAPP program funds innovative projects designed to promote the use of
the "information superhighway" for public purposes.  These funds were a
*new* source of monies for museums and other cultural organizations
interested in developing a colloborative project that used
telecommunications technologies.

Not only is this program slated for elimination, its CURRENT fiscal year
allocation may be rescinded.  This means that this year's TIAAP grant
awardees may not receive their awards.  (Imagine being told you received an
NEA/NSF/NEH/IMS grant, only to find out later that the award has no money
attached to it....)

Last year, two museum-based organizations received funding from TIAPP:  the
Museum Computer Network was awarded funds for a project of the Consortium
for the Computer Interchange of Museum Information (CIMI), and a consortium
of natural history museums received funding for a joint educational
initiative.
This year, many more museum organizations applied for these grants, (the
awardees have not yet been announced), but their efforts may have been for
nought.

Although it may be too late to convince your representatives to block this
latest cut, it is not too late for a Presidential veto of this legislation.
Public interest groups are urging all communities with an interest in the
NTIA and TIAAP to call their congressional representatives and register
your protest.

If you don't know who your Congressional representatives are or how to
contact them, you can find out by pointing your Web browser
http://www.stardot.com/~lukeseem/zip.html   - Enter your zip code you will
get complete contact information for your congressperson.