Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 08:06:06 -0400
>>IMHO, Board's should leave the issues to the director,
>>and/or if there is a problem, go directly to the director.

In a message dated 96-09-08 06:25:03 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Kristen Elsby)
writes:

>Let's consider, on the other hand, that there may be a problem with the
>director (eg. management problems or issues of performance)...what kind of
>relationship should staff have the board in this instance? In what
>instances should the board intervene in staff matters, particularly where
>it concerns the director?

I have limited experience in this area, but it seems to me that one of the
primary duties of the director is to effectively communicate the Board's
wishes to the staff and the staff's needs and ideas to the Board for their
approval. Now, if the Director is incapapble of performing these functions,
then he/she should be removed from the position. It has been my experience
that rarely do Board members have any museum experience and their ideas are
usually not applicable to the day to day business of running a museum (why
should it be, that is not their perimary function). A good Director is able
to take their ideas and flesh them out into ideas that are doable by the
staff. I have only witnessed catastrophes when the Board member singles out a
staff member for consultation or direct communication which is based upon the
staff member performing the wishes of the Board member.

Although I am not one to stand on hierarchy, I see the director being a very
important mediator between Board and staff. This is why good directors are so
hard to find.

I would love to hear of others experiences where direct communication between
Board members and museum staff did not result in fireworks or disasters.

- Adrienne