From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:57:25 +1200
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your free webzine and museum compendium read
weekly by 6,000+ readers in more than 106 countries .
***   Judged Internationally - Best Museum Professionals Site, Museums & the
Web 2004   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org and click on the NEWS button) in this
week's edition include:

**  Director of JFK museum out
The sources told the newspaper that the board the disputed expenses involved
such charges as an extra night for a hotel during a New York business trip,
on which West took his partner

**  The First Arab American National Museum Moving Forward
The Museum project was inspired by the need for accurate, non-stereotypical
documentation of Arabs and Arab Americans

**  Library and Museum Material Help Captain Cook Website
Visitors to the website can see one of the earliest accounts of Cook's life
from the Westminster Magazine in January 1780, published shortly after news
of his death reached Britain

**  Cultural revolution museum being built
China's first museum dedicated to the "cultural revolution" will bring back
vivid memories of those unusual times

**  First KFC finger-lickin' gone
The world's first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant was demolished, leaving
the sign bearing Colonel Sanders' smiling face upside down

**  New science museum opens in Washington
The Marian Koshland Science Museum, created by the National Academy of
Sciences, opens with a permanent exhibit on the wonders of science and two
featured exhibits, on global warming and on DNA, the blueprint for life

Planning on Travelling? Business or Pleasure?
* GLOBAL MUSEUM TRAVEL - For Business and Pleasure - the  leading provider
of online museum travel, established in 1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Discounts up to 65% off. Rooms for
sold-out dates. Group Reservations.
CLICK HERE      http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/trav204/index.htm
Airfares, Car Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and
Cruises!  Provider is a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Holocaust Museum Gets Ambassador Diaries
The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum has acquired the diaries and papers of
James G. McDonald, who raised early concerns about Nazi persecution of Jews
and resigned

**  9th-Century Bones May Be Royal Corgi's
Archaeologists from Cardiff University said Wednesday that ninth century
bones unearthed in Wales may be those of the first Welsh corgi to be kept as
a royal pet

**  Over art lovers' protests, museum auctions French painting
A 19th-century painting that art lovers said shouldn't be sold by the
Minneapolis Institute of Arts was auctioned Thursday for below its estimated
value

**  Scientists launching effort to preserve human marks in space
When the Mir space station broke apart and plummeted into the Pacific Ocean
in March 2001, 140 tons of Russian hardware vanished

**  Vatican tops Titanic to set museum record
"We sold out every (15-minute) time slot Saturday except the last half-hour.
Sunday was even (busier).- we opened the exhibit half an hour early because
of the crowds and ended up adding three more time slots to the end of the
day."

**  COSI museum will lay off 70, close two days
COSI Columbus will lay off nearly 70 people and close two days a week to
save money following an overwhelming levy defeat

**  African-American Museum Seeks $60 Million
That would include $10 million for an endowment to provide grants to
organizations for programs in black history and culture

**  Museum shows off da Vinci 'car'
The latest rendition of Leonardo da Vinci's prolific genius is a whimsical
wooden car that works like a child's spring-propelled toy

Visiting NEW ORLEANS  this May?
Complete Destination Guide at this address
http://dg.travelnow.com/index.jsp?cid=1527&action=viewLocation&locationId=42942
The melange of cultures and races that built the city still gives it its
heart; not "easy," exactly, but quite unlike anywhere else in the States -
or the world.
CHEAP HOTEL OPTIONS
http://dg.travelnow.com/index.jsp?cid=1527&action=viewLocation&locationId=42942

**  Renovated MoMA has airier galleries
MoMA will reopen its Manhattan doors to the public on Nov. 20, marking the
end of an $858 million reconstruction project and commemorating its 75th
anniversary

**  Terrorist museum exhibit enrages Spain
Accusations the exhibit glorifies the separatist organization began this
week when the museum display opened in the Basque town of Artea

**  B-1B bomber prepped for trip to museum
The former Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, aircraft will be added to the Museum
of Aviation's collection some time next year after a replica runway is
completed on the museum grounds

**  Heinz museum cuts 11 employees
 Eleven employees lost their jobs this week at the Senator John Heinz
Pittsburgh Regional History Centre, including its library director, archives
director and a part-time sales director

**  Part of Ancient Necklace Believed Found
An ornate trinket found in an English field by a metal detecting enthusiast
is probably the missing part of an ancient gold necklace at the British
Museum

**  This Week's GLOBAL MUSEUM CAPTION CONTEST

**  International Summer Academy for Arts Management - July 19th - 31st 2004
| Salzburg

**  International Course on Conservation of Japanese Paper

**  ACUMG 2004  - Building Networks/Sharing Resources: Models for Innovation

**  Introduction to Conservation of Outdoor Bronze Sculpture

**  Exhibition Watch: Ancient Art to Post-Impressionism

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their RESUMES,
FORUM, Cheap and reliable world TRAVEL,  MALL, Museum Accredited Courses, a
Health Store, Traditional Toy Store, Products & Services, Classical Music
store, and a Jazz Emporium. http://www.globalmuseum.org    First published
on the Web in 1998 and going strong!

What our readers say:

**  Thanks for all the good work!  I read the Global News section each week,
and have my museum studies students do so as well
Web feedback survey   January 2004

**  Thank you for this service. What did we do before this? I recommend this
site to students as part of their internship training with us
Web feedback survey  USA   January 2004

**  I love global museum and appreciate the service.  It keeps me, a curator
in a small local museum, in touch with the international museum world
Web feedback survey   Australia   January 2004