From:
John Chiodo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 20:46:25 -0500
In article: <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] (Bill Humm) writes:

> An open question:
>
> When implementing high-technology solutions in museum environments (i.e.
> interactivity, computers, etc.) how are issues of access being addressed?
> This question is not only concerned with ADA aspects, but also
> technological literacy, technophobia, and those visitors who simply resist
> the use of technology within a museum environment?

On technological literacy:  Much depends on whether the technology in
question is the messenger or the message.  It may be appropriate in many
instances to design an exhibit component that sports an intuitive interface
rather than a "high tech" one.  In other words make the technology behind the
exhibit "invisible" where the visitor interface is derived from the content
of the exhibit rather than what makes it work.  I know that may sound like
blasphemy to developers of technology exhibits where much of the learning
occurs between the interaction of the visitor and the technology...

John Chiodo
Independent
Sausalito, CA