From:
"Brunner, Lane" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:16:19 -0700
This has been a very interesting discussion about job seeking in the
field. In reviewing dozens and dozens of resumes and interviewing
countless applicants in person and over the phone for assistant, curator
and manager positions for our museum, there are a few pointers I can
provide from the employer's perspective.

While these thoughts may be categorized as "penetrating glimpses into
the obvious," they certainly were not obvious to those seeking
employment. Perhaps these are "interviewing 101 - the stuff we forgot
our teachers told us" kind of thoughts.

1. Be on time for your interview. Nothing says "I don't really want a
job" like keeping your future boss and their boss waiting for you to
show up for your interview. Phone interview corollary...be available to
answer the phone at the agreed-upon time.

2. Dress appropriately. More than half the people I have interviewed in
person have "dressed down" for the interview. Nothing says apathy like
showing up in glorified mountaineering gear for a professional position
interview. An iron is a worthwhile investment.

3. Show some confidence. Admitting you have been searching for a while
for a job is fine. It's no secret that the field is competitive. Just
don't whine about it during the interview and lapse into the pessimistic
interviewee. Nothings sours an interview more than no self-confidence.

4. Do some research. We are a specialty museum with a rather specific
topic. You really can't bluff your way through an interview with
generalities. It really shows you are not interested if you have not
done at least a little research such as checking the museum's website
and learning a little about their particular forte.

5. Review your resume. While most resumes are replete with all the
positions held, education received, etc., basic components like an
accurate address and telephone number are often overlooked. What does it
tell your prospective employer if your resume contains the wrong contact
information?

Again, while the above thoughts are likely obvious to everyone here,
more than three-quarters of the applicants I have reviewed have broken
more than one of these simple, basic rules.

Best of luck to all of you seeking work in the field you love so much.

Lane

Lane J. Brunner, Ph.D.
Deputy Executive Director
Museum, Library and Research Services