From:
GyllenFish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 00:31:39 GMT
From another newsgroup (PCST-L).  Please respond to Betsy Fleischer at
 [log in to unmask] (not to me!)

<< My organization (a professional nonprofit scientific association of 12,000
members)  just moved into a new headquarters building and we have a large
lobby and hallway where we plan to showcase the field of materials science and
our organization itself through aesthetically pleasing and functionally
interactive materials science displays, like a small museum. We have a
committee of volunteers (scientists) working on determining our first set of
displays, and I am the liaison from our office. This is a new endeavor for all
of us. I'm sending this message with two interests, one practical and
immediate, and the other of broader focus:

(1) We are seeking a concept designer/developer to help us put our concepts
onto paper and into reality in this area of about 600 to 700 sq. feet.  We are
under a time schedule right now, trying to gather candidates before a
conference call this Friday (Nov. 7) and to put together a proposal for our
Council before Thanksgiving. Can anyone suggest someone who would be
appropriate? Please contact me directly.

(2) A challenge for us is determining our potential audience and how to design
displays appropriately. Traffic through our building (which is located 30
miles outside of Pittsburgh, now consists of about 40 staff members (mostly
nontechnical), a few vendors, and a handful of scientists--volunteers on
various boards and committees--who visit the office occasionally. We see the
potential for inviting students or people from other local organizations to
visit or use our facilities, and we intend to supplement our physical space
with a virtual museum. I would be interested to hear about experiences other
people have had with such mini-museums. How can science be effectively
communicated this way? What pitfalls should we avoid? What opportunities
abound? How much time and money should be involved to be effective? How does
one target such displays for a dual audience of casual passersby and highly
interested accomplished scientists?

Betsy Fleischer

Betsy Fleischer
Editor, MRS Bulletin
Materials Research Society
506 Keystone Drive
Warrendale, PA 15086, USA
Phone: (412) 779-3004 (automated attendant) Ext. 521
Fax: (412) 779-8313
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.mrs.org/. >>

Any new materials developments in your field?
Keep me informed!