From:
"Burke, Laurence M. II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:38:53 -0400
Roger,

Your concern about the use of  "restricted" and "limited" seems to me to be
largely baseless.  From the way the release is worded, it sounds like the
Museum Domain Management Assn. would just take over for the .MUSEUM domain
what ICANN has been doing all along for the existing .COM, .EDU, .ORG, .GOV,
.MIL and .NET domains (and any others I may have forgotten).  First there is
the matter of appropriate use:  Only non-profits can use the .org domain (or
so I understand).  Someone needs to check that a group is entitled to use
the .org domain.  Then there is the matter of exclusive use of a name within
that domain:  There can be only one "Ford.org" on the net for instance.
Someone has to decide whether that goes to the Henry Ford Museum, the Ford
Foundation (I assume there is one) or some other organization with the name
"Ford" in the title who may have nothing to do with Henry or his family or
business.

My biggest concern is that while increasing the number of top domains does
allow more groups to use "Ford" (to continue the example) as an address, it
is also less obvious which domain name you want.  If "Ford.org" is currently
in use by the Henry Ford Museum in Michigan (I'm not sure it is, but for the
sake of the example let's assume this to be the case), will they move to
"Ford.museum" and allow the Ford Foundation to have "Ford.org"?  Presumably
the automobile company has "Ford.com", but if they diversify into internet
services, they could also be "Ford.net".  Or what if Joe Ford starts his own
ISP and uses Ford.net.  People looking for any of the other Ford sites could
end up there by accident and not know that they needed to type .com or .org
instead, and Joe Ford would not be required to maintain links to the other
"Ford" sites for such lost souls.

This also increases the potential for things like "www.Whitehouse.com" which
was (still is?) a porn site that basically counted on the fact that some
people would type ".com" instead of ".org" to visit the US Presidential
website.  The name could as easily have been used by someone who wanted to
set up a "parody" site, or even by some opposition party who wanted to use
it to post more malicious attacks on the sitting president.

So, in the end, does this eliminate more confusion than it (potentially)
creates?  I'm not sure.

Larry Burke
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania