From:
Peter Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 14:42:01 GMT
"BRENINGER, Leah" ([log in to unmask]) writes:
> We are currently undergoing major changes involved with our move to a
> new building and an increased workload. I'm assessing ways of coping
> with it all.
> Has anybody out there gone through a major institutional change in the
> past, ie; moved to a different building or opened a new one? If so did
> your organisation make any allowances, or scale down activities in your
> usual operations, particularly in the area of restricting outward loans?
> If so I'd like hear how you went about it and what where the effects.
> I'd also like to know about anybody who didn't, why not,  and how did
> you cope?
> Thanks very much.
> Leah Breninger
> Collection Manager, Social History
> Museum of Victoria, Australia

The Canadian Museum of Nature is in a similar position. Most activities
will move to a new facility in the late summer and throughout the fall
(the public galleries will remain in their current location in downtown
Ottawa). We are now preparing the millions of specimens in our collections
for the move. Consequently, almost all collection activities not directly
related to the move have stopped (e.g., loans and visits to the
collections have been suspended until after the move). The Registration
Section sent notices to all borrowers who currently have material from our
collections and we made arrangements to either extend or recall loans that
will come due during the closed period.

Peter Frank
Chief Registrar
Canadian Museum of Nature