From:
T Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:28:36 -0400
Plustek appears to be the biggest player in the low-cost dedicated 35mm scanner market now that Kodak, Nikon, and other big players have dropped out.   These max out at 7200dpi it appears, which for most uses is fine.  This is likely because the flatbeds with lighted tops and adapter trays have pushed them out.

Beyond this, you jump WAY up to drum scanners in the multi-thousand dollars range reaching 10k plus dpi.  But resolution is not the only advantage to drum scanning.  A drum scanner also scans the object from edge to edge so they can be critical for archival work where everything must be scanned, including edge numbers and hand markings in the perforations.  Standard film scanners use a "holder" and are generally designed only to scan the "image"are and not the perf area.

Cheers,
                   tod