From:
Kevin Coffee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 1994 08:52:32 EDT
Wendelin Montciel writes:

>I'd like to know if anyone has found a program for
>exhibits designers. ( I use a mac.) I've been disappointed with
>Claris CAD and end up using a variety of other software to fill
>one need.

We use MiniCAD 5.0 for developing space plans, interior architecture,
casework and furniture designs. Version 5.0 ships "fat binary" (i.e. programs
for both 680x0 and PowerPC). It is a 2-D/3-D program. Drawings properly
established in plan view can be rendered as various wireframe or shaded
isometrics or other views with a mouse click. Users may write certain
modifications to the program using the "mini-Pascal" libraries that ship with
the software. The current release ships with an "interactive" tutorial CD.
MiniCAD will import/export .dxf and iges, and also comes with a Claris CAD
translator. Tech Support is very good. Cost is low for CAD, and your museum
probably qualifies for an ed discount.

Graphsoft will send you a demo disk. Their phone is 410-290-5114. (Ask about
educational pricing while you're at it...)

We used ClarisCAD for several years, but moved when the writing appeared on
the wall... and have had few problems moving documents from CCAD to MCAD
(unlike Microstation created .dxf files...)

Users can move through a MCAD drawing on screen, but to create simulated
walk-through run-time animations, we export to Virtus  or similar (add colors
and textures) and Macromedia Director on the Mac or move it all to our SGI =:
->

regards,
Kevin Coffee
Manager of Exhibitions