Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 07:50:55 +1000
Dear Adrienne,
     Try removing the bulk of the wax with a wooden toothpick - the wood is
a lot softer than brass, glass or crystal and would break first if too much
pressure is applied.  It also will not scratch the surface of your mirrors,
glass, crystal...  The thin film that gets left behind can be removed with
cotton swabs dipped in white spirits (petroleum spirits or stoddard solvent
depending on the trade name - they are all hydrocarbon solvents).  I do not
recommend you use this on furniture (wood especially) as it might harm any
varnish/finish.  If you have any more questions, please contact me

Eileen Procter
Objects Conservator
Australia War Memorial
Treloar Centre for Conservation