Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:01:26 -0500
Before you go further, you should read NIST Special Publication
500-252, 'Care and Handling of CDs and DVDs - A guide for Librarians
and Archivists', which reviews some of the very issues you are
considering.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology is within the US
Department of Commerce and the document should be available as a PDF
somewhere on that website.

In addition to storing CD or DVD media, you may need to store a CD or
DVD reader, a compatible computer, and that computer's system software,
so that however many years out - pick a number greater than seven -
someone can still read the things. (laugh now; it may not be amusing
then.)

-L.D.