From:
Melanie Solomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:40:47 PDT
After two years in my current position (and more than a decade in the
museum field), I recently decided to join the union.

In our case, it is not mandatory to join, and the union prides itself on
maintaining a good relationship with the administration (by
incorporating a "no strike" clause in the contract and by recognizing
that fiscally-lean years mean small or no raises, for example).  Though
they are members of the union, certain staff have negotiated
raises/benefit increases on their own.  Not all staff are eligible to
join.

Non-profit organizations are becoming more and more like for-profit
corporations with each passing day, especially with respect to larger
institutions.  Joining a union is NOT synonymous with betraying the
cultural community.  I hesitated joining for two years because of my own
preconceived notions about unions.  Frankly, I now rest a bit easier
knowing that my union representative is there to protect my interests,
and to support ME in the event of unreasonable actions on the part of
the museum administration or governing body.

Melanie Solomon
Curator of History
The Springfield Museums
Springfield, Massachusetts