From:
Pam Endzweig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 15:28:36 -0800
In considering an expansion for our 10 year-old, single-story, 12,000
square-foot facility, the question of fire suppression has been raised.  The
original building was designed without a sprinkler system (with fire-rated
walls, though I have not yet been able to ascertain the specific ratings).
The local fire station is only a block away, and the feeling was that the
likelihood of accidental discharge outweighed the risk of fire damage.

According to the NPS Museum Handbook, "there have been many museum fires and
very few accidental discharges."  Now we are considering whether it would be
wise to install a sprinkler system if and when we add on.  A dry pipe/double
activated system with a built-in delay feature allowing the system to be
shut down by building occupants in case of an alarm has been recommended.  I
should mention that we are located on a university campus and tied into
campus security.

I would appreciate any feedback, recommendations, experiences and/or horror
stories.  Thanks for your help!  -- Pam

  Pam Endzweig  ([log in to unmask])
  Collections Manager & Staff Archaeologist
  UO Museum of Natural History
  1224 University of Oregon
  Eugene, Oregon 97403-1224; USA
  Ph 541-346-5120/Fx 541-346-5122