From:
RHEA TANNENBAUM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 09:45:00 -0500
Max,

As a zoo docent back in Connecticut I didn't mind at all wearing the
red shirt and/or red jacket when I was "on duty". It helped the
public find us docents and it helped us quickly locate each other,
too!

The board of directors at the nature center where I work has recently
purchased short-sleeved collarless shirts (okay...they're t-shirts,
actually) for the volunteers to wear. New volunteers will be required
to buy one whereas the volunteers who are already on board have the
option to buy one. A few volunteers have refused, saying that the
shirts are ugly (well, really, my guess is that they're just not
flattering to certain figure types), but most are very enthusiastic
about them.

The staff where I work have Izod-type shirts with the nature center's
logo and the word "Staff" underneath. I find that this helps enforce
my authority when I ask a visitor to do or not do something. Also,
children who've been taught "stranger danger" are less likely to shy
away from me because I am wearing a uniform. My only complaint is
that if I go shopping directly from work people will stop me and say
"Oh, you work at Gumbo Limbo...I love that place!" and then it takes
forever to get out of the store! <G>

Rhea Tannenbaum
Exhibits Coordinator
Gumbo Limbo Nature Center