From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:57:41 -0800
For a substantive part of my career, I was a
proofreader and editor.  I also have exposure in my
daily machinations to the hoi polloi of business
enough to have a feel for how much, or how little they
generally receive and/or want to be told.

Janeen's recommendations are sound.  Structurally,
here's how I would format.

DEPARTMENT NAME (in all caps)

Subsection or action item you are reporting
Underscored and upper and lower case).

SYNOPSIS:  In Italics with the bottom line concerning
the issue--usually no more than about 3 or 4 lines
depending upon how much you are reporting.  Contingent
upon how you structure your table of contacts, you may
wish to use these.

Details - In regular text with regular paragraph
breaks so the eye flows down the page.

If you have another Subsection or action item, repeat
the process.

If you have another DEPARTMENT NAME, repeat the
process.

Once everything is written, and you have prepared a
Table of Contents or Index, I would next write an
Executive Summary and place that before the report
begins.

Now, why would I take this approach?  Because,
depending upon how hands-on all of your Board members
are, they may not be interested in all the details.
They may wish to know only the bottom line.  However,
if they are interested, they can read further.  They
don't have to extrapolate what you're trying to tell
them from the text, because you've put what you want
them to remember up front.  There are some
analyticals, however, who will want to know
EVERYTHING, and your report as structured, if soundly
prepared, should provide them with the details they
seek (that's where any charts or tables would serve
you well).

Most probably the Board is looking for results.  But
if they're really into it, they may need the support
data.

Remember that readers usually catch the first 7 words
of any paragraph and the last three words.  So, if
they need to know something, set it out in a new
paragraph.  Push the readers' eye down the page.

I hope this helps.

--- Janeen Burkholder <[log in to unmask]>

Indigo Nights