From:
Susan Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:13:44 -0500
The St. Louis Science Center and the St. Louis Zoo both offer camp-in
opportunities for the Cub Scouts in our region.  Speaking as a Cub Scout
leader who has slept on those hard floors I can say that lack of sleep was
the only downside of the activity.  The kids (and adults) were thoroughly
engaged -- we had eight kids with three adult leaders.  This may sound like
a high ratio of adults to kids, but in this case more is better!  I would
encourage any start up camp-in endeavor to tap into an existing structure,
i.e., scouts, clubs, etc.  These groups are always searching for meaningful
programming, and have their own 'rules' about how meetings can be conducted.
For example, cubs scouts REQUIRE a minimum of two adults at every meeting,
regardless of the number of children.
Susan Patterson
Manager of Information Services
The Saint Louis Art Museum