From:
Peter Holben Wehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 1994 09:03:43 -0600
>I am interested in how the 4th Dimension software works as a
>collections management database.  I would appreciate any user
>feedback (especially from Mr. Lewis who did not include an email
>address).
>

>Patricia Kirkland
>University of Nebraska
>Dept. of Museum Studies (graduate student)
>Email: [log in to unmask]

We are using 4th Dimension to develop a collection management system for
ethnographic fieldwork materials.  This consists of field notes, maps,
photos, video and audio tape and other research materials.  Our objects are
stored in ARGhUS ;-), so that portion of our 4-D project is not very fully
developed.  4-D is different from most database programs in that it is much
more of a development environment than a product you modify for your own
needs.  It has a very well developed programming language, optional
graphing and word processing modules, a compiler and several networking and
server options and is frequently used as a front end for Oracle.  It is
very powerful (arguably the most powerful platform available in terms of
options at the desktop level), not very fast if it is not compiled, and
takes a long time to learn to program, but it can be made as user friendly
to operate as your skill at interface design allows.

The interface engine is very good.  In fact it makes a passable multimedia
development environment.  It is difficult to learn because of the
bewildering variety of options not because it is particularly arcane.  You
can also write externals in other languages like C or Pascal or import
HyperCard externals.  It has a variety of ways to deal with images, digital
video and sound resources and even has a set of telecommunications tools.
Data entry tools and controls are truly amazing: entry filters, lists,
mandatory fields, you name it is probably there and if it isn't you can
write your own procedure to achieve the desired result.  Anything you can
imagine your database doing you can make happen, although it may take some
time to do it.  Once you become familiar with it, and this takes *a great
deal of time* with many manuals scattered about, it is actually very
civilized to program.

We use it because the programming language is very adept at manipulating
text strings.  For example, one of the problems we had was converting lists
of attributes in narrative form from an older database and links them to a
series of files of attribute terminology.  I was able to write a procedure
that takes the text, isolates the individual terms by the comma or
semicolon that punctuate the attribute description, search the attribute
file and create a new record if needed and establish the data relations.
Now we press a button, come back a few hours  later (well, usually
overnight) and our data is converted automatically.  Since you can use
global procedures it was very easy to use the same code for breaking out
this information for fieldworkers, artists, subjects, ethnic groups, etc.

Generally I like 4-D a great deal, but it is not for the faint of heart.
Unless you want to hire a developer it will take a considerable investment
of time to produce a finished product.  For straight forward problems you
are probably better off with something like FoxPro or Paradox, especially
if you have to do a lot of number crunching or have other issues were speed
is a concern and you do not want to pay for a compiler.

I hope this lengthy testimonial is useful to others, but maybe it would be
more appropriate to talk about specifics via e-mail.

Peter Wehr
Michigan State University Museum

Peter Holben Wehr                      [log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]

Michigan State University Museum    E.Lansing, MI 48824-1045, (517) 355-0368