From:
Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 1994 14:30:15 CDT
My wife hates to go to a musem with me or watch a historical drama on the
screen, because I always find some anomaly or stupidity to critique.  While
the roadside attractions (Snake-O-Rama, etc.) may have their place in history,
I really find it unfortunate how they have helped lower the standard for the
word "museum."   The public now equates the word "museum" on a fairly equal
level....thus when they see "Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)" and
"Museum of History of Creation"....they have the same expectations.  "Visitor's
Centers" or "Tourist Welcome Centers" have the same problem.  I know pretty
much that I can expect a pretty high quality from a visitor's center at a
National Park than I can from a local tourist site.   Religious museums and
visitor centers are even worse, tending to be thinly-disguised "proslytizing"
installations.
---Dean DeBolt, University of West Florida