From:
"John A. Bing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:30:04 GMT
On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:22:32 -0500, HARRY Needham wrote:

>Rosemary;
>
>Wot is an "older person"? I recently discovered that, in Canada, anyone 55
>or over is now being labelled a "senior". Since I am 56, it was a damned
>depressing discovery, let me tell you!
>
>Harry

        Harry,
        In actual fact, the "Golden Years" are divided into various
subgroups.  The first is the "Shock year (s) which, from your message
is where you are now.  This is followed by the "Reconciliation Years"
when you come to terms with the need for vitamin supplements,
arthritis, and frequent need to "spend a penny."  After that it is
more uphill in that Medicare (USA) and Social Security (you can see
where I live) kick in and ease some of the lesser effects of the
venerable.  All this leads to the best subgroup which some call "At
peace with yourself"  recognized by the attitude that Damn it all, I
don't have to do it if I don't want to.  Another person characterized
it as a period when you have the right to say NO.  But then, all good
things have a limit and one reaches the truly venerable ages.  I will
never forget the answer I got from a friend when I congratulated him
on his 100th birthday and asked him how it felt.  He replied, "I
wouldn't recommend it to anyone"

Happy sailing Harry

John