From:
John Suau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:20:08 -0500
Dear Shirley and MUSEUM-L readers!
The American Association of Museums (AAM) and the Smithsonian Center for
Education and Museum Studies (SCEMS), in collaboration with the AAM
Diversity Coalition, have developed a day-long workshop entitled "Leadership
through Diversity" which has been presented to AAM staff, SCEMS staff,
George Washington University Museum Education graduate students, and a group
at the Midwest Museums Association in Rockford, Illinois last month.

The program has been designed to be "museum specific" - that is, to include
real case scenarios from museum settings.  Evaluations of the workhsop have
been outstanding and plans are being made to present the workshop at the US
Holocaust Memorial Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Boston
Childrens Museum, and the Boston MFA.  Further, the California Association
of Museums has asked that AAM/SCEMS present the workshop in conjunction with
their next annual meeting.  NEMA, SEMC, and MAAM will all be hosting the
workshop as a preconference activity in 2002.

Finally, AAM will present the workshop in Dallas, TX on Sunday, May 12 in
conjunction with the AAM annual meeting, the largest cultural meeting in the
world.  The Association of African American Museums has requested that the
workshop be presented at their next annual meeting in Washington, DC in
August 2002.  Bill Gwaltney, Asst. Regional Director for Workforce
Enhancement, Intermountain Region, National Park Service has also been
involved in establishing a collaborative initiative between AAM and AAAM for
the next meeting.

I would be happy to talk with you or anyone else interested in hosting the
one-day workshop.  Please feel free to contact me below for more specific
information about the content of the workshop.

Thank you,
John T. Suau, Manager
Meetings, Professional Education and Diversity
American Association of Museums
1575 Eye Street, NW - Suite 400
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 218-7676 (t)