From:
Walter Witschey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:59:13 -0500
David:

The Science Museum of Virginia has used prison labor for approximately
two years.

When the Adminsitration of Governor Allen took office four years ago, an
initiative was launched to provide opportunities for prisoners to do
productive work.

A statewide program was started  (of which our Museum is one of many
beneficiaries) and it has been quite effective.

In our case, a small (8-10) group of men is brought to the Museum campus
five days per week, in a van, with one guard. All have been
"hand-picked", so to speak. They all are non-violent offenders, all are
in the last six months of their term, and all are on good behavior.

We have been trying to reclaim an overgrown industrial site to convert
it to a twelve acre science park. The men have worked in this area
mostly, with tools (including brush hooks and chain saws) that the
Museum has purchased. During inclement weather, they have occasionally
been employed on indoor (painting) tasks and other things.

We have had literally no problems with this approach, and have actually
seen great benefits. First, it provides an effective increase in museum
staff of about six and very little expense to us. Next, since our staff
is gracious and generous in their complements to the crew, the members
of the crew have quick feedback about a positive piece of work. This
aids the transition back into the world. The crew members actually
volunteer for this work, because it takes them outdoors and out of the
prison environment, so they see positive benefits.

We like it and support it!