Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:23:11 EDT
In a message dated 4/22/99 7:57:20 AM US Eastern Standard Time, Christine
Mouw <[log in to unmask]>  writes:

> We are exploring what we might be able to do with fiber optics in our
>  temporary exhibits, but I have a few questions.
>
>  My main question concerns light levels. If fiber optic lighting produces no
>  UV or heat (as the literature says), is there any reason to still keep
>  light
>  levels below 5fc when using fiber optics?  Is there some conservation
>  issue I'm just not thinking of?
If you are talking with NoUVIR, call jack directly and ask him to explain the
physics of it, but I have the NoUVIR system, and my understanding is that b/c
fc levels depends on the objects, using fibreoptics significantly increases
the amount of light you can use on an object.

>  My second request is for anyone who has used fiber optics in exhibits to
>  share their experiences.

The reason we got the system in the first place was to light a daguerreotype
exhibit (or more precisely, a hall of mirrors ;-). My current show has silver
in it and the fiber optics are great on them as well for being able to
minimize glare and light spots in the visitors eyes... What it does for the
other artifacts (ranging from handsewn textiles, porcelain, and ivory pieces)
is create this alternating overall glow and spotlight. Given our overhead
track lighting in the vaulted-ceilinged gallery we have, without fiber
optics, I'd not be able to display really wonderful but tiny objects so that
the visitor can really appreciate the detail... I love it! And granted, I
don't know if there are other companies doing this, but I cannot recommend
the NoUVIR product highly enough!!

- Adrienne

Adrienne DeArmas, Curator
The Historical Society of Washington, D.C.
1307 New Hampshire Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20036
202-785-2068 x112