From:
"Fourie, Heidi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:31:46 CAT-2

Dear listers,
If I understand the question correctly, you would like to know about
collections other than for instance the research topic of a
department.  I am the collection manager in the Palaeontology
department and has to curate hominds, associated fauna, teaching
collection, slides, black and white photographs, Cat-scans, X-Rays,
invertebrates, plants, Therapsids, amphibians, fishes, dinosaurs.
The reprint collection is catalogued by the Library but is housed
seperately in each department.  We also house the Robert Broom
archives including medals and graduation gown.  Some artefacts are
also present.  In computerising this we often employ the help of an
assistant.  All of these collections get equal devotion, not
necessarily equal time and preparation.
Rich, I hope this helps, it is a pain when you have a back-log.
Heidi Fourie
Collection Manager
Department of Palaeontology
NFI, Natural History (Transvaal Museum)