From:
Jay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 1996 17:35:59 -0400
Mr. Haberstich:

On May 28, you wrote:

"I work in a "free" museum, but seldom see young local visitors who have
freely chosen to come on their own; they're usually part of a school field
trip. Most of them would rather be someplace else. Many value entertainment,
not education, and they would rather pay for something they enjoy than spend
time engaged in something free that they don't consider relevant to their
lives."

When I read statements like this I have to wonder whether the museum to which
you refer isn't failing in its mission to picque the interest of these young
visitors.  If the students would rather be somewhere else, don't you have an
obligation to provide a setting where they want to be?  If a museum is not
relevant to the lives of its audience then what business does it have seeking
visitors?  Our duty as museum professionals is not to ourselves but to our
audience--in every facet of the operation from collections management through
interpretation and exhibits.  You ought to know this by now.

Establishing relevance, Mr. Haberstich, is our business.

Jay Smith
Executive Director
Reno County Museum
Hutchinson, Kansas

--As always, these opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those
of the folks who authorize my paychecks--