From:
Laura Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:27:26 -0500
Sorry to reply to the whole list, but I can't find the original poster of
the inquiry on alternate interpretations!

>1.  Baltimore History Museum (or is it the Maryland Historical Society?)
>had a temporary exhibit a couple years ago curated by an
>African-American artist, which re-interpreted objects in their
>collections.  It had an extensive review in either Museum News or
>History News several years ago, and my friends who saw it gave it rave
>reviews.

It was the Maryland Historical Society and the exhibit was by Fred Wilson,
a New York artist who did a similar installation in the Seattle Art Museum.
 The show was marvelous and he had amazing insights into our work.  Many
AAM members were lucky enough to see it when the AAM met in Baltimore -
recall the year and you'll have a clue about when this all took place. He
was interviewed in Museum News: "Making the Museum Mine."  Sorry I don't
have the citation handy, but if anyone is interested, reply off-list and
I'll get it to you within a few weeks.

Laura Roberts