From:
Claudia Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 14:31:03 GMT
There are many paths into this field.  I know people who have done it a
number of ways, but since I went to grad school and got my M.A., most of
the people I know have done it that way.  [BTW, I have never heard of a
certificate program that was not attached to an actual master's program.]

I believe that "apprenticeship" can be a valuable way to enter into
museum work, however, I would caution you to keep up with the professional
literature while you are working, and try to attend professional meetings
as it is possible.  I did interview a young woman for a job once, who had
a BA, and had only worked at one institution.  She had broad and very
good experience at this one institution, but she also had a very limited
point of view on the work.  There was only one way she could conceive of
doing things, and that was the way they did it at her institution.  She
didn't strike me as a very good candidate for moving anywhere else--at
least until her horizon had broadened quite a bit.

Besides, I am of the opinion that the further you get away from your
education, and the more work experience you have, the more irrelevant your
graduate (or, for that matter, undergraduate) experience is in terms
of what you would be able to do right now at a museum.

If your debt burden is too daunting (and it would certainly daunt me!),
get work in a museum, keep your eyes and ears open, and read everything
you can get your hands on.  You will do fine.

Claudia Nicholson
Curator of Collections
Museum of the South Dakota State Historical Society
Pierre