From:
Joy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 13:59:25 +0000
As Le Anne Brown of the Morris Art Museum enquired about financial management seminars,
I thought I'd draw the following course to the attention of the list. We have just rescheduled it
from November '96 to January 20-29 of '97 to accommodate a change in the instructor's
schedule, and will have a complete course description available over the next few days. Let me
know if you'd like to receive further information:

FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT IN CULTURAL ORGANIZATIONS
If managers of cultural organizations are to foster strong and creative
environments for programs, they must build on a sound understanding
of the principles and practices of financial planning, development, and
management. Using the framework of the business plan, this course
stresses the role of financial planning, forecasting and reporting in all
aspects of management, and develops your confidence in your management
skills through a practical examination of the following topics:
- nature and values of non-profit arts and cultural organizations, with
a particular emphasis on museums
- accountability
- financial management cycles
- budgeting and resource allocation
- forecasting revenues and expenditures
- internal controls, evaluation and audit
- operating procedures
- management of revenue centres and box offices
- inventory control
- micro-computer applications
- legal and ethical issues

As you should be familiar with basic bookkeeping requirements and procedures, this topic is
addressed through advance readings.

Instructor: Pauline Thompson is a Chartered Accountant and Director of Operations, Science
World, Vancouver
Dates: January 20 - 29
Please register by:  December 18
Fee: $589 (Canadian funds)

Joy Davis, Program Director
Cultural Resource Management Program
University of Victoria
Phone 604-721-8462
FAX 604-721-8774
email  [log in to unmask]

For detailed Program information, please visit our Web Site at
http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp/