Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 16:06:02 +0900
>  In all of this hysteria about potential liability/lawsuits have I heard
of
>  anyone actually getting sued for a skateboarding injury on their
property.
>  Has it ever happened?  Does anyone know, FIRST HAND, of an institution
that
>  had to pay a skater's parents because the kid got injured on their
> property?

Well, doing a google search on "skateboards liability and sue" I didn't find
a case.  But what I did find interestingly enough, was a California statute
as follows:

"
http://www.nosewheelie.com/oct/news.html
Other Skateboarding News.    AB 1296 is signed into law by California
Governor Pete Wilson! AB 1296 adds skateboarding to an existing list of
hazardous recreational activities, such as tree climbing and mountain
biking. What this means is that if you hurt yourself in a public skateboard
park, you can't sue the city unless you can prove that they were grossly
negligent. Liability to lawsuits was what ultimately led to the demise of
skateparks in their heyday in the late-70s/early-80s. This legislation is a
big step in getting more skateparks built. AB 1296 takes effect January 1,
1998, but already several California cities are already developing their
plans for new skateboard facilities. More than 30 new skateparks are
scheduled to open around the state by next summer. "

And if you look at the oodles of other documents, you'll see even for places
like skateboards parks the liability issue is far from settled---looks like
we have lawyers to thank about that one.

Best, MEH