From:
Katie Wadell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 11:23:29 -0700
Here's my feelings on the article- anyone else?

While the Wall Street Journal reporter concentrates on the most sensational
examples- speed dating, "Grease," and fast food- almost all the changes
mentioned in the article are basic interpretive programs.  Children's
programming?  Tours of the belltower?  Interpretive theater programs?  What
is the world coming to?

If flowers and dinner parties are done without thought, they can attract
pests and raise humidity.  However, on the interpretive side, they bring
life back into the house- something sorely lacking in most historic houses.
I once worked at a historic house that held interpretive cocktail parties/
tea parties on the porch, and cooking classes in the 1920's kitchen.  We
presented participants with something they cared about (food) and used it to
teach them about the house's inhabitants.  (And I got to dress up as a
downstairs maid- fun!)

Katie Wadell
Berkeley Historical Society