From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 13:09:07 -0700
The short answers are:

1) The Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh does have a
policy regarding nepotism;

2) Prior to 1987, Pittsburgh's original Buhl
Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science [a.k.a.
Buhl Science Center] did NOT have policy regarding
nepotism.

So, I have to bring-up a second question in this
conversation: What about the "grandfather clause" ?

Let me explain. I was employed with the original Buhl
Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science from 1982
to 1991. In 1987, Buhl Planetarium merged with
Carnegie Museums.

As I mentioned, Buhl Planetarium did not have a
nepotism policy while Carnegie Museums did. And, there
was a major problem after the merger.

Buhl Planetarium's chief accountant, and her daughter
[who worked as an accounting clerk], worked in the
Buhl Planetarium accounting office for many years,
prior to the merger. Although today this may not seem
wise, it worked well in the 1980s and there was never
any impropriety or appearance of impropriety.

With the merger, Carnegie Institute management said
that the mother and daughter could not, both, continue
working in the Accounting Department. For a while, the
former President of Buhl Planetarium, who was now on
the Carnegie Institute Board of Trustees, was able to
forestall any change in the Buhl Accounting
Department.

However, eventually, Carnegie Institute management
insisted that the mother and daughter could not, both,
continue working in the Accounting Department. The
daughter was told she could transfer to another
department. However, due to bitter feelings, the
daughter chose to leave the organization.

About a year later, Buhl's chief accountant retired. I
think she would have stayed longer had this situation
not arisen.

So, I am sure most people would agree that a mother
and daughter should not be hired to work in the same
department--and, certainly, not in a department as
sensitive as accounting. However, in the situation I
just outlined, would not grandfathering this situation
have been beneficial to the organization?

Chances are that the mother would have retired within
a few years anyway, and the problem would have
resolved itself. Yes, both of these women are friends
of mine, so I feel disappointment over what happened
around 1990.

So, would a "grandfather clause" have been a
reasonable solution to this problem, or did the
removal of the daughter from the Accounting Department
have to occur, regardless of her years of loyalty to
the organization?

gaw

--- Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>