From:
Christina Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 10:38:36 -0700
Daryl Fischer siad:
> I like Richard
>Rabinowitz's idea of inviting visitors into behind the scenes areas.
>Lifting the curtain on some of the mysteries that take place in the bowels
>of museums could have a big impact on visitors' behavior in the galleries.
>It's also a way of showing respect for visitors that would probably have
>the mutual benefit of increasing their respect for us and what we do.
>
>On the other hand, the notion of occasionally opening up "staff only"
>areas of the museum may strike terror in the hearts of some.  Are the
>potential costs worth the benefits -- or vice versa?

Referring to our experience only, it is definitely worth it.  We've just
finished our second annual series of "Hidden Treasures of Glenbow"
behind-the-scenes tours/talks and the feedback I've gotten from visitors,
staff and volunteers (all three groups were surveyed) has been
overwhelmingly positive.  Many visitors want us to do it more often, and
many staff wish they had the time to be able to.

Lots of planning is required, however, to make it a safe and enjoyable
experience.  We pilot tested the project to discover any glitches that might
arise - for instance, we now know that the optimum group size is small
(only 12 people per tour), and that tours/demonstrations in the conservation
lab are as interesting to visitors as the curatorial-based tours.  This year
we also added two tours just for kids.

Visitors frequently cited the opportunity to get behind-the-scenes at the
"mysterious" Glenbow as a reason they took a tour.  Hopefully, we've taken
some of the mystery out of it, while encouraging them to become more regular
visitors.

Christina J. Simpson
Co-ordinator of Evaluation/Results Monitoring
Glenbow Museum
Calgary, Alberta