From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 08:54:58 -0700
--- David Harvey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I just have to jump in on this one now. Deb - while your cleaning advice and
> recommendations are fine for leather and tack that are relatively new and are
> in everday use, they are not appropriate at all for historic objects.

I'll agree with you on that as I wouldn't use the products I've mentioned on
"fine leather" like furnature or clothing items. But I've seen and used a lot
of leather tack from 100+ years and never had a problem with good old glycerine
soap. I know people who ride in saddles with original leather from the Civil
War era and they are in just as good of condition as they were when they were
made. The stitching has been replaced as well as the load-bearing straps but
then again, linen thread and straps are supposed to be replaced every now and
then anyway.

Old leather harnesses were made to be used and abused. It's tough stuff. If
your stuff is generic harnesses from "Farmer Bob" and isn't something you want
to preserve for all time (ie. it's unique or was used by someone famous), then
I don't think you can go wrong with the glycerine soap and neetsfoot oil route.

If it is stuff you want to preserve for all time, then yes, I'd agree that you
should consult with a conservator that specializes in leather and it probably
shouldn't be on display in a non-climate controlled environment as well. I got
the impression from the original poster than they had some old harnesses and
all they wanted to do is clean them up for display. Nothing fancy thus the
cleaning suggestions.

I've never tried Orvus paste on leather, just on fiber. Will that hydrate it as
well or would you have to follow up with a leather conditioner?

Deb