From:
"Robert O. Dahl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 1994 06:57:37 -0700
>Barbara Weitbrecht [<[log in to unmask]> Mon, Aug 1, 1994 9:13 PDT] wrote:
>
>You have subcribed to "The Washington Post".  You notice a public notice in
>one issue, announcing that someone is compiling a directory of the residents
>of Washington, DC, as a public service.  <snip>  [S]everal weeks later you
>see a notice in the "Post" stating that the directory compiler does not feel
>that he has received an adequate response to his initial query, so he has
>received permission from the "Post" management to include the entire
>subscriber list in his directory.  Since the directory compiler realizes that
>this may not please everyone, he suggests that any "Post" subscriber who does
>not wish to be included in his city directory send a note to the "Post"
>stating the fact.
>
>I believe that this is a reasonable analogy to what has been proposed for the
>use of the membership list of MUSEUM-L.  Would those who cannot understand
>our objections to this use, also feel perfectly comfortable with the
>compilation of the "Washington City Directory" described above, either from
>the viewpoint of privacy, or the accuracy of the resulting data?
>
>----------------[quote ends]----------------

Barbara, when you want your named marked in the phone directory as not
wanting telemarketing calls, you have to notify them. Now I seriously doubt
whether most people want telemarketing calls.
Robert

" The greatest victory in life is the victory over oneself"...slogan above
a Russian prison entrance.

Robert O. Dahl
Interpretation and Conceptual Exhibit Design            Ph:(602) 797-4752

8421 N. Via Tioga
Tucson, AZ 85704
internetaddress:[log in to unmask]
              AOL: [log in to unmask]