From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:14:30 -0700
Judy -

There is the possibility that no policy is needed.  There is no policy that
I am aware of where I work -- maybe by design or by oversight, but
nonetheless no policy.  We're a pretty big place and I'm not aware of any
problems as a result of providing employees (and students!) with this
technology.  If there have been problems, I guess they've been handled
between supervisor and employee.

Why not just give people email and Internet access?  No policy, not even a
sentence!  What would happen?

Sorry, I don't mean to be glib, and I know you weren't asking for this kind
of discussion.  I just seriously question the need for preemptive policies
in the workplace and believe their negative effect on morale is often
greater than any value to the bureacracy.  Why not take the fact that no
problems have occured (I presume) with the two of you already using email
without a policy in place, and use that as evidence that a policy is
therefore unwarranted?

Stephen Nowlin
Director, Williamson Gallery
Art Center College of Design