From:
"Mark C. Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:34:45 -0400
----- Original Message -----
Subject: paintings and UV light - thank you

> Thank you for your UV light comments.  I was able to
> create a valid argument against it with your help!
>
> Kim Kenney

Kim,

UV light is easily kept from the viewer's direct line of sight (think of all
the fluorescing minerals exhibits) and exposure time limiting systems are
easy to implement.  The most important question is that of the artist's
intention.  If it just happens that the paints s/he chose fluoresce, than
showing it under UV light would be absurd (unless the subject of the
exhibition is the fluorescent properties of everyday objects, in which case
either exposure/time controls as mentioned above could be used or a piece
could be created for the exhibit with prior knowledge of its limited life).

Mark C. Cohen
Design, Technical and Management Services