From:
Katie Wadell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:49:46 -0700
In my experience, the answer would be "it depends."  What collection are you
using PastPerfect for?  Who uses the collection, how many are there, and
what do they do with it?  Are you part of Columbia University, or just
affliated with it?

On the one hand, Past Perfect won't have the "look" of Columbia's WebPAC
(online public access catalog), and won't be searchable in exactly the same
ways. The cataloger's screens will look different, too.  This is primarily
because Columbia's catalog was designed for libraries (and lots of public
users) while PastPerfect was designed for museums, with different cataloging
standards and a relatively limited number of public users.  One is an apple
and the other is an orange.

On the other hand, PastPerfect exports into MARC format, which is what
Columbia (and most other libraries) use for their cataloging.  This means
that PastPerfect can share information with the university.

If you have more details, I'd be happy to weigh in with my opinion!

Katie Wadell