From:
Karin Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 12:09:11 EDT
Short of "splintering" the list by topics, and having all
messages coded and filtered by the subject line, if people
would just put good descriptive SUBJECT lines on each
message, I would then go through my mailbox and delete
those that I know won't interest me.  This would be a
quick, easy way to weed out the mail.
=================
Karin C. Watkins
Clark Art Institute
=================

>  This seems schoolmarm-ish, but if people *really* took the time to edit
>   their subject lines, it could obviate the need for list-splitting.  It
>   works on other lists I participate in, and it would help this list.
>   I'm afraid that I end up by deleting relevant information because of
>   the persistence of subject lines.

I have been watching this discussion from the sidelines because it seems to
come up from time to time, with some people wanting division by topics and
others wanting the list to be left just the way it is.

Your point about proper subject lines is the reason I have hesitated is
because EVERY subscriber would have to be VERY precise with their subject
lines. While people who want to get all postings could with a topics
defined list, those who want filters may get frustrated since the person
posting the message MUST use a precise format for the topics option to
work. Also, there is the question of what the topics for discussion would
be. I would be willing to listen to ideas and suggestions for possible
topics.

To quote from the Listserv Keywords memo: