From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:15:12 -0600
Greetings LD,

I think you placed this subject squarely in open territory by referring
to "the god(s)."  That is neither a Jewish nor Christian mode of
reference.

Speaking of which, the oft-quoted phrase "Judeo-Christian tradition"
implies that there is significant commonality.  But the two traditions
are radically different.  Born, raised and educated according to Jewish
tradition, and now living with my Roman Catholic partner, I can tell you
there is little similarity . . . including the text and uses of the
Hebrew Bible.  Versions of the Hebrew Bible available to Christian faith
groups are different from those for the various Jewish sects (Orthodox,
Conservative, Reform, etc.).  Especially noticeable is the name by which
those texts are referred -- "Hebrew Bible" (or "Tanach") versus the "Old
Testament."  Additionally, there is a lack of theological commentary in
most Christian versions, whereas most Jewish versions include numerous
rabbinical interpretations.  Obviously, theologians and etymologists
would have a field day with a comparison of Jewish and Christian
versions of the Hebrew Bible . . .

Best wishes all,

j heuman, Education Curator
Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art
Utah State University
4020 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT  84322-4020
t 435.797.0165 | f 435.797.3423

Education costs money, but then so does ignorance.
Sir Charles Moser, b. 1922